2.1.2 Project Explorer
Project Explorer Overview
Project Explorer (PE) is a tool to help you organize the contents of your Origin project files (OPJ).
Project Explorer is split into two panels. The primary panel shows the OPJ folder structure. The sub-panel shows folders and windows in the folder highlighted in the primary panel.
- Right-lick the PE title bar to display the panels stacked (vertically aligned) or side-by-side (horizontally aligned).
- Context menus in both panels provide options to delete, hide, print, etc. Menu options vary depending on what is selected or where you have right-clicked.
- Multiple-selection of windows in the sub-panel is supported (press Shift or Ctrl while clicking with your mouse).
- The sub-panel supports differing views of windows: Details (default), List, Small Icons, Large Icons, Extra Large Icons.
- In any window view, mouse over each window to see window comments, contents or a preview.
- When displaying windows as Extra Large Icons, you see a preview of graph and layout windows.
Display or Hide Project Explorer
To show or hide Project Explorer:
- Click the Project Explorer button on the Standard toolbar or click View: Project Explorer on the Origin menu (hot key: Alt + 1)
- Right-click the PE title bar to auto Float, Dock or Autohide the window.
Find Windows in Your Project
In addition to previewing windows in the PE sub-panel, you can use PE's Find dialog box to locate windows in your project file:
- Right-click on any PE folder and click Find.
- Enter a search string in the Find What box.
- Search within the Entire Project, the Active Folder or the Active Folder and Subfolders.
- Options to match case or whole words or to use wildcards "*" or "?" in your search.
- Search Folders, Graphs, Books, Sheets or Columns and Select options to narrow or broaden your search.
- Additional options to search worksheet data and text objects on graphs.
Speed Up Project Loading by Not Displaying Windows
By default, all windows in the project file are shown in the Origin workspace. As you accumulate windows in your project file, you may find that the project is slow to load or that the workspace has become overly crowded. One option is to load the project without displaying windows.
- To configure a project so that windows do not display on loading, click View: View Windows: None or right-click in the PE primary panel and choose View Windows: None.
- To view windows when the view mode is set to "None", click on the desired folder in the primary panel of PE, then double-click on the window icon in the sub-panel. Note that as long as the View mode is None, only selected windows in the active folder are displayed.
|Note: Earlier versions of Origin had a third option that controlled display of windows in the active folder and subfolders but it was found that users sometimes deleted critical data because they were confused by windows that appeared from other folders. If you would prefer to have this third option, you can restore the old functionality by opening the Script Window and at the command prompt, type the following and press Enter:|
- @PER = 1;
- The "View in Subfolders" option then becomes available in the right-click context menu or View: View Mode menu.
Move a Folder or Window
- To move a folder or window within the Origin project, drag the folder/window onto another folder.
Create a Shortcut to a Window
- Right-click on a window and choose Add Shortcuts to Favorites. A Favorites folder is added to the OPJ folder structure.
- Press Alt and drag a window onto another folder.This creates a shortcut to this window in this folder.
Change the Display or the Order of Columns in Details View
When the PE sub-panel is in Details view (right-click an open area and choose View: Details), you customize what information displays:
- Right-click on the column header and select or de-select a heading to display or hide the heading.
- Drag to reorder displayed column headings.
Sort in Project Explorer
In Detailed view of Project Explorer, multiple attributes of windows and folders are listed.
- Click on the column header to sort the windows in project explorer. Upper arrow means ascending. Down arrow means descending order.
- To do nested sort with multiple attributes, hold down SHIFT key before clicking on secondary attribute column header and on.
Rename a Folder or a Window or Add Comments
- To modify a folder or window Long Name, right-click the folder(either panel)/ window and choose Rename or Properties.
- To rename by in-place editing, left-click once on the folder(either panel)/ window (Long Name or Short Name column is showing on sub panel), then click a second time. Type the name.
- In addition to Long Name and Short Name columns, there is a Name column which displays the window Long Name if it exists. You can rename either the Long or Short Name from this column by clicking the LN/SN button to toggle between the two names.
- To add/edit Comments by in-place edit, left-click once in the Comments column (sub-panel), then click again. Type your comments.
View Graphs as Slide Show or Send Graphs to PowerPoint
- To view a slide show of graphs in your project, right-click on the PE folder containing the graphs and choose Slide Show of Graphs.
- To view a slide show of all the graphs made from one or more worksheet columns, select the columns then right-click and choose Slide Show of Dependent Graphs.
- To send graphs to a PowerPoint file, right-click on the PE folder containing the graphs and choose Send Graphs to PowerPoint.
Modify Graph Order for Slide Show or PowerPoint
- To change graph order, first make sure that the Slide column is displayed in the PE sub-panel's Details view.
- Click the Slide column header to sort graphs in ascending order.
- To change graph order, drag graph icons. Note that graph order is changed but the sort order is kept.
- To skip a graph, right-click on the window icon and choose Skip Slide.
Save a Portion of the Project as a New Project File
- To save a folder in the project file as a new project, right-click on the folder and choose Save As Project.
Open Multiple Project Files Simultaneously
You can have only one project file (OPJ) open in a given session. To open a second OPJ, you can do one of two things:
- Run a second instance of Origin.
- Append a second OPJ to the open file by first selecting the intended parent folder, then selecting File: Append, or right-click on the PE folder and choose Append Project.
Hide a Folder from the Origin Viewer
The Origin Viewer is a freely-distributed, standalone application that allows viewing and copying of information contained in Origin Project (OPJ) files and Origin child window files (OGG, OGW, OGM). If you would like to prevent your data from being viewed or copied by someone using the Viewer, do the following:
- Right-click on the folder in Project Explorer.and choose Restricted in Viewer. The folder icon should now display as locked.