LabTalk is a full-fledged scripting language native to Origin, with syntax and structure similar, but not identical, to C. LabTalk incorporates DOS-style commands with option switches and arguments, as well as object properties and methods comparable to those in Visual Basic. Almost any task done in Origin's graphical user interface can also be performed using script, making LabTalk an extremely useful and versatile tool:
- LabTalk is ideal for performing and automating simple tasks
- Write and execute quick scripts from many locations, including data columns.
- Create custom LabTalk utilities that run by clicking a menu item or toolbar button.
- LabTalk provides full function support, including allowing functions to be declared on the command line.
- Call Origin C functions and X-Functions from LabTalk.
If you are just getting started with either Origin or scripting, check out the LabTalk Scripting Guide which is full of examples to help users get the most out of their LabTalk script code.
The Classic Script Window serves as both a command console and text editor.