A vector plot is a multidimensional graph used in industries such as meteorology, aviation, research, and construction that illustrate flow patterns (e.g. of wind, water, magnetic fields, etc.). Both direction and magnitude are represented in a vector graph. Origin includes two types of vector plots:
- Vector XYAM - takes a starting XY location for the vector tail (by default), an angle and a magnitude.
- Vector XYXY - takes two XY positions and connects them with a vector.
What you will learn
- Two data organizing mode to plot a vector graph.
- Use Plot Setup to assign plot data
This tutorial is associated with the Statistical and Specialized Graphs project:\Samples\Statistical and Specialized Graphs.opj.
To create a vector plot, you need four data columns, and organize your data into two modes:
XYAM means X, Y, Angle and Magnitude, respectively. Vectors will start from point (X, Y), and rotate an angle you specified. The following example uses XYAM data mode to create a vector graph.
- Browse the folder Statistical and Specialized Graphs: Specialized: 2D Vector in the Project Explorer. Active the data worksheet Book8E. Without highlighting any columns, select Plot: Specialized: Vector XYAM to open the Plot Setup dialog. And assign column A, B, D, C to X, Y, A, M as below, then click OK to plot the graph.
- Select Format:Plot Properties... to go to the plot level of the Plot Details dialog. Go to the Vector tab and change the Magnitude Multiplier in Vector Data group to 75. Click Ok button to close Plot Details dialog.
- Double-click X or Y axis to open the Axis dialog. Active the Title & Format tab, and check/enable the Show Axis & Ticks option for the Right axis. And set the Major Ticks and Minor Ticks to Out. Show the Top axis either in this tab.
Go to Tick Labels tab, and check the Show Major Labels box for both Right and Top axis.
Go to the Scale tab, set Increment as 2 for Horizontal. Click OK.
- Right click on the legend box to bring up the context menu. Select Properties... to open the Object Properties dialog. Type \l(1) Field Strength in the text box and click OK.
- Add layer title as Spot Write Effectiveness.
Another data organizing mode is XYXY, where the first X, Y is the vector starting point, while the last X, Y is the ending point.
To create such vector graph, active the Statistical and Specialized Graphs:Vector: 2D Vector folder in the OPJ, highlight all of the four data columns of Book9E, and select Plot: Specialized: Vector XYXY from menu. Delete the axis titles if necessary.